Cycling is fun for all the family and getting the kids involved is one of the best ways to make sure they live an active, healthy lifestyle while enjoying endless fun. Ensuring your child wears a helmet for every ride, no matter the duration is incredibly important. Making sure their helmet fits correctly is equally as important. Not only is an ill-fitting helmet uncomfortable to wear, but it also doesn’t offer the level of protection a correctly fitting helmet will.
How to measure your child for a bike helmet.
Here we’ve put together some simple steps to ensure you find the right size helmet for your child using some very basic tools! All you need is a fabric tape measure or, if you don’t have one, you can use a piece of string.
- Wrap the tape measure (or string) around your child’s head, about an inch above the eyebrows. Make sure the tape measure is level all the way round!
- Take the measurement (in cm) from here. If you used a piece of string mark or cut where the string overlaps and measure the length with a ruler.
Checking the helmet fits
Now you have the measurement of your child’s head you can determine which helmet your child needs. All of our Kid’s helmets have a handy size chart to tell you the size range in cm. Once you’ve got the helmet just run through these basic checks to ensure it’s the perfect fit!
- Pop the helmet on. It should cover most of the forehead with just enough space for your middle and forefinger together directly above the eyebrows.
- Adjust the dial on the helmet to ensure there isn’t too much side-to-side or back-to-front movement. If your child can shake their head without the helmet moving, great job just make sure it’s not too tight. If you can fit a full finger between the back of their head and the helmet, then it’s too loose.
- Then, adjust the straps to ensure they fit evenly and snug. Make sure your child can still open their mouth comfortably and that the straps are properly placed around their ears.
- Gently push the helmet backward, and then for forward to ensure it’s nice and secure.
Adjusting as they grow
It’s good practice to check on the fitment of your kid’s helmet from time to time. As they ride the straps may loosen and you want to make sure they’re always properly protected. Equally, as they grow you may find you need to adjust the straps and dial to accommodate for this. Just remember all the steps above and you’ll keep riding happily and safely!
Shop our range of Kids Helmets and make sure your child is protected for every ride.